This wiki is closed and NOT maintained! The up-to-date PPI wiki can be found at https://wiki.pp-international.net

<

PPI Minutes 2015-03-03

From pp International
Jump to: navigation, search

< back to PPI Board

Agenda PPI BOARD MEETING

  • --- 03/03/2015 20:30h CET ---
  • Mumble: mumble.piratenpartei-nrw.de
  • Room: "/international/pirate parties international/board meeting"
mumble://mumble.piratenpartei-nrw.de/International/Pirate%20Parties%20International/board%20meeting/board?title=Piratenpartei%20NRW&version=1.2.0

Minutes of the PPI Board meeting from 2015-03-03

Record of the meeting

1 - ATTENDEES

1.1 - Members of the PPI board

participating: Thomas, Gregory, Bastian, Marco, Anders, Stathis (from 21:01)
excused: Koen
unexcused:

1.2 - Others

Alternates: Min Chiaki
Guests:

2 - PROCEEDINGS

RoP: http://wiki.pp-international.net/PPI_Board/Rules_of_Procedure
Meeting opened at : 20:44 CET by Thomas
Meeting closed at 22:56 CET by Thomas
Meeting chaired by Thomas Gaul
Secretary for this meeting is: all of us
Quorum established with 6 out of 7 board members present
Streaming started: Not possible
Recording started: yes
Postal votes: none

3 Short Reports

  • Very brief
Gregory: I have participated in a meeting with PP-CZ on the preparation of the Piratecon conference in Mariánské Lázně, CZ, that have earned a thank "to PPI" even if I had my hat on as international coordinator of PP-DE. https://twitter.com/vonpecka/status/572501856620052480 I also have set up the rooms for the GA on the Mumble server.
Thomas: Same as Gregory, but two meetings with PP-CZ :) And see above. Attended PwB meeting in Prague last weekend, had some talks with PP-UK et al. who will still support PPI when being in actual politics (NGO-work).
Anders: Pushed to finalise the TT15 negotiations with NSE. Nothing new to tell so far. Will continue to put pressure to get a scheduled TT15 after the summer.
Marco: nothing to report.
Bastian: something inbetween Gregory & Thomas :)

4 UN / WIPO / ITU / WSIS / NGOs etc.

  • We have the registered AISBL in Brussels for the last 2,5y and this is one of the core requirements for formal relationships with international organisations.
International Organisations represented in Geneva (taken from WP
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_international_organizations_based_in_Geneva )
(Organisations being of more importance are "starred/bulleted")

The United Nations Office at Geneva

The European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN)

The International Civil Defence Organization (ICDO)

The International Labour Organization (ILO)

-> Of concern to many PPI member because of the Basic Income topic

The International Organization for Migration (IOM)

The International Telecommunication Union (ITU)

The International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO)

The Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU)

The United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (UNHCHR)

The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)

The Internet Governance Forum (IGF)

The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA)

The Lutheran World Federation (LWF)

The World Health Organization (WHO)

The World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)

The World Meteorological Organization (WMO)

The World Nature Organization (WNO)

The World Student Christian Federation WSCF

The World Trade Organization (WTO)

The European Broadcasting Union (EBU)

The Aga Khan Foundation

The Airports Council International

The Conference of European Churches (CEC)

The International AIDS Society

The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC)

The International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC)

The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC)

The International Organization for Standardization (ISO)

The International Road Transport Union (IRU)

The International Union Against Cancer (UICC)

ICVolunteers (ICV)

Mandat International (MI)

The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria (GFATM)

The Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC)

The UN Watch

The World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD)

The World Council of Churches (WCC)

The World Heart Federation (WHF)

The World Economic Forum (WEF)

the World Organization of the Scout Movement

The World Wide Web Virtual Library

The International Association for the Study of Insurance Economics (also known as The Geneva Association)

CARE International [1]

Youth With A Mission (YWAM)

The international board of directors for Médecins Sans Frontières

The United Nations joint programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS)

Geneva Call

Baltic Black Sea Union (BBSU)

UNITAID

The Future of Human Rights Forum (FHR Forum)

Stathis joins the meeting at 21:01 CET.
First round of organisation we like to have contact to and needs to be approved by us after checking the joining procedures:

The International Labour Organization (ILO)

-> Of concern to many PPI member because of the Basic Income topic

The International Telecommunication Union (ITU)

-> Of concern to all PPI members because it made attempts in the past to regulate the Internet and to introduce the regulations that would eliminate net neutrality as a principle.
  • The United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (UNHCHR)
-> to be checked
  • The Internet Governance Forum (IGF)
-> this is the body that, even it is do not regulate internet directly, is immensly important as the advisory body to the UN general assembly.
  • The World Health Organization (WHO)
-> This is of concern, because it touches the problematic field of patents on medication.
  • The World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)
-> This is obvoius. but they are not interested in us. Still, there might be opportunities for some dialog and influence.
  • The World Trade Organization (WTO)
-> This is of the direct concern to the core Pirate topics due to the TRIPS agreement that is managed by WTO. (it refers to WIPO's Berne agreement, but makes it mandatory for WTO Members). Also the topics of international free trade ususaly is contain chapters on so called "intellectual property" protection. And we cannot leave this field to the industry alone.
  • The European Broadcasting Union (EBU)
-> The broadcasting union is lobbying heavily for a "broadcasting treaty" that should protect the brodcasters "from the internet". They are aiming against net neutrality of the internet. And also directly related to copyright and such things as DRMs.
  • The International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC)
-> This is of concern, as with the arrisal of "internet of things" the topics have the potential to influence such policy fields as internet, copyright and freedom of information.
  • The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC)

-> humanitarian topics, that is influence by such topics as "access to medication" and "patents on life forms", protection of varieties, free education ressources, etc...

  • The International Organization for Standardization (ISO)
-> This is where the internet standards are being set. There are involvement for the public, and this is where a lot of freindly NGOs are already operating, so this might be not the number one priority for us, but definetly needs some monitoring.
  • The World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD)
-> Same as with IFRC:humanitarian topics, that is influence by such topics as "access to medication" and "patents on life forms", protection of varieties, free education ressources, etc...
  • The World Economic Forum (WEF)
-> World Economic Forum engages political, business, academic and other leaders of society in collaborative efforts to shape global, regional and industry agendas. Together with other stakeholders, it works to define challenges, solutions and actions, always in the spirit of global citizenship. Interesting to Pirate Parties because they want new point of views on how to change industries and economical structures. Not excluding new ideas on IP, net neutrality and copyright.
13 Organisations
The board is invited to "do the homework" to collect he information on this organisations. We also invite our Members to contribute the opinions on where our priorities should lay, given the limited resources we have. (Limesurvey done by the members)
-> ToDO for Gregory and Thomas to invite the members.
-> no objections, so decided.
-> board members, please also consult https://ppi.piratenpad.de/observing where Gregory have collected some of the requirements for observing relationships with a number of the afformentioned organizations.
-> We have been asked for Speakers for this conference on twitter. The idea is to forward this call to our Members.
-> ToDo: Gregory to inform the members.
-> no objections

5 Response to press article

-> new version to be drafted till Monday 21:00 CET, then meet in Mumble.
-> the saved revision 4 is facing no objection. So accepted.
-> Thomas will send it to the journalist [X] Done 21:22 CET
-> Gregory will send it to Piratetimes.

5 Board and Member issues

PP-BE suspended from their membership, and propose the upcoming GA of PP-BE to terminate the PPI Membership altogether.
Bastian complains about the acting of the co-chairman who seems to be working against the aims of PPI in public. The board is asked to decide upon "expelling" (the request to CoA to expell) the Co-Chair from the board of PPI. It will be dealt with on the 2015-03-21 in the regular meeting of the board. He shall be informed about it. The meeting is proposed to be a closed one discussing this item.
Marco has brought up again the question about his status, following the "complaint" from Brendan Molloy and asks for permission to write to the CoA for clarification for the interpretation on the statues.
-> motion: The board members do not consider Marco a full board member with full voting rights until the clarification from the CoA.
  • vote:
in favor:
against: Gregory, Bastian, Stathis, Anders
abstain: Thomas, Marco
  • motion failed.
Welcome on board again, Marco

-> 15 minutes break until 22:28 hrs.

Rules of Procedures - Board

* Added §6.4, removed last part §6.1

Addition of §6.4
  • Proposal Koen: Add new item to paragraph 6:
The meeting minutes will be approved by the board during the next meeting. From the moment of approval, the minutes will be considered final and cannot be modified.
  • Vote:
in favour:
against:Marco
abstain: Gregory, Bastian, Thomas, Anders, Stathis
-> Motion failed
Remark Gregory: I never saw a problem with the current practice - the minutes are published within 10 minutes after the meeting, we all write them jointly, so I abstain.
Bastian: I join.
removal of last part of §6.1
  • Proposal Koen: strike "and not later than two weeks after the meeting."
current wording:
The minutes of the meeting will be published before the next meeting and not later than two weeks after the meeting.
  • Vote:
in favour:
against: Gregory
abstain: Bastian, Thomas,Marco, Anders, Stathis
-> Motion failed
Bastian: superfluous
Remark Gregory: I vote against, because it would actually create less transparency and accountablity, contrarily to what I believe is trying to be achieved here by Koen.

6 Online General Assembly

RoP

Idea - hold a public consultation with specialists for RoPs to create proposal that will fit the online only GA. Meeting on March 8th 17:00 CET. Bastian invites.
no objections.

Chair

  • A mail from PP-CZ with a volunteer (Vojtech Pikal) for the vice-chair of the meeting of the GA.
We are looking for more people to join the Chair-team.
-> Anders to write the mail to the members reminding them for our call for the ressources.

7 Financial Issues

no changes.

8 pp-leaders and pp-leaders.discussion - Terms of Use

not ready yet. postponed till next meeting.
ought to be one of the first Items in the next board meeting. postponed.

9 Server

The prepaid rental period of our hosted server has runned up.
vital stuff for PPI is hosted on this server. (16. Feb. had been the date to delete it).We have been granted the time untill April 30. to solve the situation (either to prolongue the contract, or to quit it) The virtual machine is equipped with 2x 2.4 Ghz CPU, 50 GB harddrive, 1GB Ram - http://boxmedia.eu/de/server (type D) - the regular price is 15,99€ per month, we got this to a discounted prepaid rate of 10€ per month (24 month prepaid), last time it was paid by Georg Sinn and Gregory Engels.
Bastian: as a fallback we could migrate this server to the infrastructure of my ISP-company.
Marco will write to the members asking for money.

10 AOB (being urgent)

  • none
===================================================
Next Meeting: Saturday 2015/03/21 10:00 CET
Meeting Closed:22:56 CET by Thomas