PPI Conference 2017 - General Assembly by Video: Saturday, November 25th and Sunday, November 26th, 2017 - Details follow - PPI_Conference_2017
Board meeting Monday, 23. October 2017 21:00 CEST - Draft Agenda Videotool, just log in: https://zoom.us/j/621248460

PPI Minutes 2017 06 11

From pp International
Jump to: navigation, search
Agenda PPI BOARD MEETING
--- [11/06/2017 21:00]h CEST ---
London (United Kingdom - England) Sunday, 11 June 2017, 20:00:00 BST UTC+1 hour
Berlin (Germany - Berlin) Sunday, 11 June 2017, 21:00:00 CEST UTC+2 hours
Tokyo (Japan) Monday, 12 June 2017, 04:00:00 JST UTC+9 hours
Vancouver (Canada) Sunday, 11 June 2017, 12:00:00 PDT UTC-7 hours
São Paulo (Brazil) Sunday, 11 June 2017, 16:00:00 BRT UTC-3 hours
Moscow (Russia) Sunday, 11 June 2017, 22:00:00 MSK UTC+3 hours
New Delhi (India) Monday, 12 June 2017, 00:30:00 IST UTC+5:30 hours
New York (USA) Sunday, 11 June 2017, 15:00:00 EDT UTC-4 hours
Jakarta (Indonesia) Monday, 12 June 2017, 02:00:00 WIB UTC+7 hours
Buenos Aires (Argentina) Sunday, 11 June 2017, 16:00:00 ART UTC-3 hours
Hanoi (Vietnam) Monday, 12 June 2017, 02:00:00 ICT UTC+7 hours
Wellington (New Zealand) Monday, 12 June 2017, 07:00:00 NZST UTC+12 hours
Corresponding UTC (GMT) Sunday, 11 June 2017, 19:00:00
Mumble: mumble.piratenpartei-nrw.de
Room: "/international/pirate parties international/board meeting"
Audio recording: https://owncloud.ag-technik.de:443/owncloud/index.php/s/2D2C4SieSeficT9

Record of the meeting

1 - ATTENDEES

1.1 - Members of the PPI board

participating: Thomas, Ray, Bailey,Andrew, Koen, Keith (arrived late)
excused: Guillaume
unexcused:
  • Guillaume's vote goes to Bailey

1.2 - Others

Alternate Board Members
participating:
excused:
unexcused:
Guests
participating: Bastian, Kitty, PiratesOnAir

2 - PROCEEDINGS

RoP: http://wiki.pp-international.net/PPI_Board/Rules_of_Procedure
Meeting opened at 21:16 CEST by Thomas
Meeting chaired by Bailey
Secretary for this meeting is Raymond, all others will help out.
Quorum established with 5 out of 7 board members present.
Streaming started: started http://piraten-sender.org/stream/
Recording started: done by Pirate Radio
Postal votes: None
Notes on meeting process
  • [HH:MM] CEST: (name) entered the meeting [=> Quorum not established with X out of Y board members]
  • [HH:MM] CEST: (name) left the meeting [=> Quorum established with X out of Y board members]
  • [HH:MM] x-minute break by initiated by (name)
Meeting closed at HH:MM CEST by (name)

3 - APPROVAL ON THE MINUTES

Minutes of the last meeting: http://wiki.pp-international.net/PPI_Minutes_2017_05_22

YES: Thomas, Andrew, Bailey, Ray,Koen, Guillaume, Keith (about 20:55) NO: ABSTENTIONS:

Minutes are approved

4 - REPORTS

4.1 - Short report of the board members 1)

  • Board:
  • Guillaume:
not present
  • Bailey:
A lot has happened over the last few weeks. In the social media realm, the “Twitter split” that Ray and I have been discussing happened on Friday. So we now have a new “corporate” Twitter account that uses the old handle [@ppinternational], which will focus on PPI only. It will be used to share official PPI statements, info about board meetings or general assemblies, and policy-related stuff. This will be our nice, clean, professional account for official business but more importantly, regular interaction with our members.
Twitter is playing a big role in helping us get in touch with Pirate Parties who have been out of the international scene for a while or who we didn’t know existed. We have put a lot of work into contacting them and getting their updated information for the contact database. A friend of ours, Kitty Hundal, also helped us put together several lists on the new account, including a list of PPI members, non-members, international coordinators, board, observer members and individuals who support us. The lists are incomplete right now but when they are finished, they will be excellent resources for following and keeping in contact with Pirates around the world. A lot people feel that the mailing lists are ineffective and we need better ways to communicate...Twitter just may be the answer, or part of the answer to that, as these efforts have shown. We’ll see how it works going forward.
As for the old account, which is now @PPI_Activism...this account is not bound by the same rules as the other one. This account is for not only us, but Pirates around the world to contribute to, whether it’s content that is directly related to a Pirate Party or the Pirate movement, or if it’s political but not necessarily a “Pirate Issue”. We want it all. We want this account to include everything because everything is connected. We are Pirates, and we are part of The Resistance. It will be made clear that what is said on this account is not an official stance of PPI, but the work and opinions of Pirate Activists from all over the world.
The next thing is membership meetings. We have not done the first one yet, but we haven’t forgotten about it. Contacting the various parties has been the first priority and that will hopefully make the membership meetings more effective, because everyone will know about them rather than just the people we’re already in touch with. While Ray and I are going to organize it and make sure it happens, all of that will be useless without participation from the larger community.
  • Andrew: Nothing much to report - Podcast delayed due to unexpected commitments to local politics taking up too much time. I will be able to continue this week.
  • Keith:
not present
Had been heavy on the cashiers part. Helped out a lot with FB and the Twitter stuff. Still needs somebody to help out with a Swiss ID for registering Paypal-Account in Switzerland. Been busy in the outreach to get in touch with our members. Plus being active on Video-stuff etc. (presented by Raymond) Sorry, arrived late. It's my birthday, and my alarm did not wake me up on time, 4 am. Few financial updates are included below.
  • Koen:
Wrote Pirate Times article about PPEU GA, What todo with PPI HQ? Still need scans of ID card or passport of some board members.
Link to the PT article: http://piratetimes.net/a-first-for-international-pirates-an-online-asynchronous-council-meeting/
  • Raymond:
First responses from the common work Bailey came in. The work seems to be very fruitful.
  • Thomas:
nothing of importance to report
  • Alternates:
  • Nicolay:
not present
  • Patrick:
not present
  • Adam:
not present
  • Gregory:
not present
  • 1) Very short and brief. For important issues add an agenda item!

5 Business

5.1 Financial news

postponed
Waiting for the Paypal.
Received the contact information for our cashiers and obtained an update of our finances, sent the invoices. I still do not have direct access to the bank account, but as long as the cashiers respond promptly it is not urgent. I contacted our lay auditers again but no response. I still do not have a good contact for Henry Hessler, although Ray seems to have had contact with him through SoMe, and they should be contacting me? I sent them a template for the invoices. Czech should be sending us payment. Belarus sent us an email concerned about the payments, and they asked us a question about any rallies?

5.2 Discussion about widening our membership base

Some of us have been thinking about us accepting more members than just pure Pirate Parties. We have all agreed that we should accept a wide range of observer members. We should aim to connect with all types of organisations from all over the globe. Be it Activism Munich or, like in Berlin where we let in the Serbian Internet Party. We should discuss even letting certain Green Party entities become observer members. In addition I feel it is a good idea to dicuss accepting all sorts of NGO's connect with us. FYI: I have contacted Activism Munich asking if they would like to contribute to our @PPI_Activism account.
Concrete proposal: After getting contacted by the new, not yet publicly announced, leader of the Internet Party of New Zealand it set in motion a series of thoughts that makes me think we should even consider them become full members at this upcoming GA. In cooperation with Bailey I would make sure they got all they needed to fulfill our statues and rules. They have asked us to send them an invitation so that their representatives can attend and present their application. They want to send their volunteer rep King Kapisi, (Link to his Youtube channel)
Concrete proposal: I would also like to immediately start a project where personal membership, supporters, is possible. I would then take responsibility to run that subgroup and find a sponsor like for instance Protonmail or someone making pirate stash so that a Personal membership has an added value.
I feel very strongly about waking up our grassroots not only by starting to effectively working with our members but also, as stated, radically widening our base. Or making our doors much wider.
  • PPNZ is mixed on supporting an application for the Internet Party of New Zealand as full members. There will be an application and Ray will supply them with all documentation etc. they need.
  • We must make sure that on the GA agenda we have statute changes made early in the conference to cover the widening of our membership base. There is already a sub-group on this.
  • Ray and Andrew has agreed to share the responsibility of re-starting the personal membership project.
  • all accepted unaniomously

5.3 Pirate Conference 2017 (GA)

Draft: https://ppi.piratenpad.de/Conference2017
General ideas about the upcoming General Assembly
We should immediately start planning date, place and format. This should happen in membership meetings where we use both the meetings and our Twitter to push our members to come up with ideas both about time and place. I suggest we start using Doodle as often as possible.
Is taken care of.
Sidenote: Much of what I have been thinking about and doing in regards with outreach depends heavily on us getting our email systems to work ASAP. FYI in addition to finding everyone on Twitter and making Lists we will soon also have everyones Facebook pages.
The next GA should be a Pirate PARTY. By that I mean inviting guests and have music and speakers of high prominence. Present or via uplink. It should be less of boring statues discussions and much more about learning, connecting and having fun.
This means that someone must as soon as possible make a timetable with exact dates, built around our statutes, and make sure that every member, guest and organizer knows exactly when their input must be sent to us. This requiers a lot of dialogue but we are very close to be able to talk to all of our members very effectively.
If we do this well, the voting will on each agenda item will be over in 10 minutes making room for filling the day with creative things that makes the GA more of a party than a formal gathering. Remote and local comms and voting must be of a much higher quality that I have seen before. I propose we invite the PPNO tech team run the voting system. In our GA it worked like a charm. Voting via web and phones worked perfectly for the third GA in a row.
If we add to that that we can discuss each Agenda item using all channels on SoMe BEFORE the GA it makes for a much better and smoother meeting.
We should establish, very soon a funding drive to sponsor travel costs for those members that live very far from where the GA would be held. Keith, please make a note of it. I will make sure anything you plan gets shared really really wide.
Keith will set up an individual Gofundme type page for individual speakers who wish to come from more distant locations. Talk with airline companies and other types of sponsors who will provide discounts and other funds. These issues will be handled in the subcommittee.
We should invite guests, potential sponsors, politicians, journalists, live tweeters (I have one at the ready) etc. There should be a little room with a good camera and we should make short interviews with as many as we can during the GA ending up with a lot of snippets for sharing on SoMe in the coming weeks. Everyone elected must of course say sth about themselves for a few seconds.
Ray and Thomas will finalise the "Call for Offers" and send it out a.s.a.p.
PPNO and others are invited to help out with the votes, PPNO uses "Poll everywhere".
Video (to and fro) for remotes and guests is an obligation to have.
Ray would like to follow the sponsoring line, like even ask Flight companies for "sponsored" tickets. Will be handled in the subgroup

5.4 A membership database that covers everyones needs

We are now the owners of the best data that there is out there. I am aware of several projects around the world where everyone is working from their own angles and with different needs and motivations. I would like to be given the trust to identify the different projects and see if it is possible to combine the projects. In my mind any member, be it a member of PP Stockholm, a member of a regional party, a national party, a regional org like PPEU or the universal PPI actually updates their own information. We cant keep working like we have been. We will never get close to unity or making the grass roots grow if we do not solve some of these things.
I have asked Kitty Hundal to start planning dev of a database that looks at all these elements. For now it is ofc not a coding project, but it could become one if the prep work and planning is done. In PPNO there is a large and strong Tech dept. They are working on a national system. I have asked them to think about what it would take to actually incorporate what I have described in the first paragraph.
Do I have the boards support in taking this a little further and at a later date present a plan to the board?
Ray would ask PPNO to help out as they are about to implement something on their own, but available to the public via Github.
Think about data security and data retention, so individuals are not intimidated.
Thomas:Single point of contact is a necessity. Whom- or whereever might be the key collector.
A penetration test is a mandatory. It needs to be repeated. Bastian is certified for penetration test and is the data security officer on behalf of PPDE. So he should be included in the process.
  • Motion: Ray and Kitty Hundal will be tasked with exploring the idea and establishing a database to manage PPI membership data and - in addition - a collection of the Pirate Parties worldwide, even if those are not being members to PPI. Non-members are allowed to deliver detailed data on a voluntary basis.
  • Vote:
Yes: Thomas, Ray, Bailey, Guillaume, Keith, Andrew, Koen
Nay: none
Abstain: none
  • Motion passed unanimously.

5.5 Crowdfunding

Discussion about accepting corporate sponsorship
Should we accept corporate sponsorship connected to PPI as a whole, connected to specific projects like a conference or even help financing the upcoming general assembly itself. I realize this touches the work that the sub-group of crowd funding is doing, but corporate sponsorship is something that needs to be discussed in principle. It is about independence and keeping our credibility with our base. We will consider a standard template that limits the influence of any sponsor. Keith will draft a template for the next meeting. We will limit how much the sponsor can use our name in their marketing and the leverage that they may hold over us.

I think there should also be a limit to the amount of sponsorship in relation to the total budget. If someone sponsers 90% of your budget they own you regardless of legal contract. (Koen)

  • Annotation Thomas: PPI was always open to accept sponsorship. First time it was accepted was in 2011 (GA in Friedrichshafen/Germany)
  • Motion: Pirate Parties International (PPI) is eager to get funding through corporate sponsorship for all activities mentioned in the Statutes of PPI. PPI shall evaluate each sponsor beforehand. Obvious unethical entities should not be allowed to sponsor PPI's activities. Basic ethical rules shall be set up by the board and be accepted by the members of PPI. A standard contract drafted by PPI will be sent to potential sponsors so that obligations on both sides should be clear.
  • Vote:
Yes: Koen, Andrew, Thomas, Keith,Ray, Bailey, Guillaume
Nay:
Abstain:
  • Motion passed unanimously.
  • Annotation Koen De Voegt: I think there should also be a limit to the amount of sponsorship in relation to the total budget. If someone sponsers 90% of your budget they own you regardless of legal contract
Keith volunteers to present a draft for a "standard contract"
  • Motion: PPI will set up initial crowdfunding campains on Indiegogo, Gofundme, and other crowdfunding platforms specifically for the upcoming General Assemblies and a general fund for PPI events and a video campaign. Other aims might be evolving out of it.
  • Vote:
Yes:Andrew, Ray, Thomas, Keith, Bailey, Guillaume, Koen
Nay:
Abstain:
  • Motion passed unanimously
Keith will be responsible for drafting the initial account and is in charge for the time being.
  • [23:04] 5-minute break by initiated by Ray
  • [23:11] Meeting continues

5.6 Should we establish and actually present a yearly Pirate award at this years GA?

  • We would have to create a commitee or subgroup for this making sure we get judges from outside of our inner circles. It can be one for Activism and one for Political Pirate work.
awards are meant in a positive way.
this should be different to awards been given for competitives among e.g. you pirates.
what should be the award be like, just a "trophy", a given part of money for whatever etc.


  • Motion: PPI will ask the members to bring forward nominees and proof for the work those nominees have achieved. This will be deciced upon only once by the board. The upcoming General Assemblies will elect a subgroup to decide upon it in the future on a regular basis. It is up to the General Assembly to decide upon how often and even give the basic rules for presenting an award to people proposed for it for doing "good work".
  • Motion: The board has today decided to present a motion to the GA2017 with the goal of establishing a yearly Pirate Award. For this years GA we will recognize a few people based on nominations from our members.
  • Vote:
Yes:
Nay:
Abstain:
  • Motion...
Item postponed to the next meeting (26.06.2017 08:00 CEST)

5.7 Think Twice Conference

Some answers are still be awaited, esp. the rough month it should start.
PP Israel is working hard on it.
We found that a lot of academics don't like to be associated with politics. Finding the right ballance between academics, politics and activism was kind of the idea. Not about doing activism during the conf, but having on or two established actived presenting their work in a conference setting.


5.8 Social media updates / Would it be a good idea to run competitions among our grassroots?

We could have many different competitions, (all ran from social media)
- Submit a video of yourself with a statement, rant or policy idea
- A meme competition
- Making pirate graphics
- Best idea for tech dev of for instance an application that could be used by all pirate parties
Prizes could be one off hoodies, pens... etc even simply personal membership, a diploma or getting their work shared widely around the world through our social media. Recognition....
go for it. Unanimously. Reporting is appreciated.

5.9 Podcast Idea

will continue, there will be another meeting soon. (Friday 16th, June 2017, 21:00 CEST - Skype maybe plus "hangouts")

5.10 Video Campaign Idea

Concept of short approximately two minute pilots. Let's just keep practicing.

5.11 Monthly outreach meeting

We are still in the contact phase to add parties and people as well. See the Twitter compain, we wan't reach out to all we can reach!

5.12 ECOSOC etc.

Answers to the Committee had been given. No official news yet. We can assume that our membership application is postponed by the ECOSOC sub group.

5.13 Server update

Guillaume is going to hand over the access to AG Technik Brandenburg


6 AOB - Any other business

none
===================================================

Next Meeting: Monday, 2017-06-26 08:00 CEST (06:00 UTC)

London (United Kingdom) Monday, 26 June 2017, 07:00:00 BST UTC+1 hour
Berlin (Germany) Monday, 26 June 2017, 08:00:00 CEST UTC+2 hours
Tokyo (Japan) Monday, 26 June 2017, 15:00:00 JST UTC+9 hours
Vancouver (Canada) Sunday, 25 June 2017, 23:00:00 PDT UTC-7 hours
São Paulo (Brazil) Monday, 26 June 2017, 03:00:00 BRT UTC-3 hours
Moscow (Russia) Monday, 26 June 2017, 09:00:00 MSK UTC+3 hours
New Delhi (India) Monday, 26 June 2017, 11:30:00 IST UTC+5:30 hours
New York (USA) Monday, 26 June 2017, 02:00:00 EDT UTC-4 hours
Jakarta (Indonesia) Monday, 26 June 2017, 13:00:00 WIB UTC+7 hours
Buenos Aires (Argentina) Monday, 26 June 2017, 03:00:00 ART UTC-3 hours
Hanoi (Vietnam) Monday, 26 June 2017, 13:00:00 ICT UTC+7 hours
Wellington (New Zealand) Monday, 26 June 2017, 18:00:00 NZST UTC+12 hours
Corresponding UTC (GMT) Monday, 26 June 2017, 06:00:00

Meeting Closed: 00:04 CEST (22:04 UTC)